Monday 21 April 2014

Rainbow loom bracelet

Both the Brownies and Guides are loving the latest craze -  rainbow loom bracelets.

This is actually a craze that i'm a fan of because it has the girls creating something and using their imaginations.

I thought that it might be a fun activity for a future Brownie meeting, so I bought some elastic bands to test my bracelet making skills. I wanted to make a bracelet without using the rainbow loom since I had no intention of buying one and because I know that many of the girls don't own one either and I wanted to show them that there are always alternate means to an end!

From my quick google search it appears that you can make the fishtail bracelet using just two pegs which means that you can use substitute items such as two pencils or pins pushed into a cork.


Photo credit: http://mayamade.blogspot.com.au/2013/10/lil-loom.html?m=1

I happened to come across a tutorial using a knitting loom and since I own a few of these in different sizes, I decided to give it a go.

This particular design is aptly named dragon scale and uses 6 pegs. I followed this tutorial from Loom a Hat. 




It was a great first bracelet to make, as it was simple and repetitive. 



The finished product:



If you decide to have a go yourself, make sure to watch the video provided (although the written instructions are very clear!)

Dragon scale bracelet tutorial: http://www.loomahat.com/rainbow-loom-dragon-scale-bracelet/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has the rainbow loom craze infiltrated your unit?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!