Thursday 25 April 2013

ANZAC Day handmade wreath

We march in our local Dawn Service every year and I decided this year it was about time the Brownies lay down their own wreath. I spent ages searching the internet and not finding anything that drew me in.

In past years we have made poppies using the template from the Australian War Memorial. So I used those for inspiration.


Credit: Australian War Memorial

I didn't take any progress photos, but trust me when I say the wreath design was very basic!

Step one: Trace the shape of a dinner plate onto thick cardboard and then cut out. Do this three times.

Step two: Cut a smaller circle (trace a dessert bowl) from the insides of each large circle creating cardboard rings. 

Step three: Hot glue the three rings on top of each other. After this, my rings were about 1cm in depth.

Step four: Wrap green crepe-paper around the entire thing until no cardboard is visible.

After this it was up to the girls. They designed poppies and leaves using red, black and green paper. I didn't provide a template so every flower and leaf was unique. Look how talented these girls are!



Thanks to the work of some talented mother's the whole thing was beautifully arranged and a lovely ribbon with our name added.


Isn't it gorgeous?! I'm so impressed with their hard work. And the Brownies were so proud to lay down a wreath at our local memorial along with all the others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!